free bird

Posted by PJoyLynn , 4.11.2006 6:24 PM

so i'm making scrambled eggs.
jj bought Naturally Nested eggs - package reads Eggs Laid by Uncaged Hens.
why does this make me want to be vegan?
is it now because the labeling has told me that i'm eating an unborn free chickie?
i know these things are more healthful, but it somehow seems wrong.
i guess at least the hens are living the good life.

or maybe it's because me and liv watched chicken run a couple weeks ago.

fuck. i put too much milk in - now they're runny scrambled free birds.

6 Response to "free bird"

PJoyLynn Says:

Ok, it may be sad but I'm commenting on my own post.

Liv only ate about 4 bites of the eggs.
I couldn't even get a bite in after typing the post. Then the smell of fresh free chickie eggs was haunting me while I did the dishes.

These three free birds were bred to feed us. Then some dumbass like me fucks up their purpose in life. All because I was making fun of the vegans.

~A~ Says:

I felt compelled to reply for no reason, I hope you don't mind. *LOL* You didn't fuck up the unborn chickies since they weren't even fertilized.

But what's sad since I've raised chickens till the raccoons ate them all is that I know the work it went in to those eggs. It takes 24 hours for a chicken to make an egg, imagine giving birth every 24 hours. They make the most horrid chicken squawk when they lay their eggs. "Bock bock bock bock bock BRRRROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOK!"

Some happy chicken with her beak in tack had been walking around in a grassy field somewhere on Egg-land chicken ranch, getting some sun and eatin' the bugs till it was time to squeeze out that egg that you wasted with too much milk.

PJoyLynn Says:

Ok - now I think I'm moving to chicken-tarian. When I was pregnant, I couldn't eat chicken - it made me want to vomit. Even now, 3 years later, if I get a particular meaty piece, I have to spit it out. Well, it happened this weekend whilst I was eating some deep fat fried chicken strips. And, what did I think of? "BRRRRRRRRROOOOOOOOOOOOOOKKKKKKK".

PJoyLynn Says:

or wait, chicken-tarian isn't right - that would mean i eat nothing but chickens. well, whatever, i'm a selective carnivore...

Anonymous Says:

I don't think eggs laid by uncaged hens are suppose to be healthier for you.

It is more humane to have uncaged hens. Caged hens are the poultry equivalent to veal. They can't move around because they're in a cage the size of their body.

A thought that crossed my mind when reading this entry was if a chicken egg is unfertilized then it doesn't seem that bad to eat it. I equate it to the unused egg that is lost each month by humans. No big deal, right?

Don't tell my boss that I'm replying to blog entries at work. ;)

PJoyLynn Says:

it still grossing me out.
unfertilized or not.
i have since eaten eggs, but still am struggling with it.

and, april, GET BACK TO WORK! :)